In This Article:
- Common Skin Concerns in Your 30s
- Dull Skin Routine
- Best Cleansers
- Best Exfoliant
- Best Moisturiser
Googling ‘best skin care routine for 30s’? Same.
That's because now I've entered this decade, I've noticed my skin radiance isn't as glowy as it used to be.
So, I asked Alpha-H's Clinical Training and Education Manager LeeAnne Leslie to prescribe me a skincare routine to help.
If your skin is looking tired and dull, read on.
Recap: Skin in Your 30s.
First, here's a recap of the most common skin concerns people experience in their 30s:
- Your 30s is when the first visible signs of premature ageing start feeling more noticeable
- This includes things like fine lines, uneven skin tone and texture, and hyperpigmentation
- 30s skin will may also look duller than 20s skin
- “This is because the rate of skin turnover decreases as we age, causing a build-up of dead skin cells on the surface and contributing to a lacklustre appearance." LeeAnne says.
So that’s the why behind 30s skincare.
Now, here's your quick and easy 30s skincare routine to manage uneven skin tone, dullness and signs of premature ageing.
Step 1: Use the Right Cleanser
Everyone, at any age, should be cleansing with the best cleanser for their skin!
Whether it’s a cleansing balm, oil cleanser, cream cleanser or foam cleanser, not properly washing your face is one of the biggest - and most common - skincare mistakes you could be making.
Cleansing balms like Melting Moment Cleansing Balm Plum are amazing because:
- Skin can become drier with age thanks to a loss of collagen, hyaluronic acid and lipids/oils within the skin barrier
- They remove sunscreen, excess oil, makeup (including long-wear makeup and mascara!) and general grime from the day
- Crucially, a balm cleanser does this without disrupting the skin’s delicate pH levels, or leaving skin stripped, tight or dry
- Adds moisture back into the skin, and leaves skin feeling soft and clean, and looking radiant
How to use a cleansing balm in your routine:
Take a good 30-60 seconds to massage a grape-sized amount of cleansing balm over dry skin.
Feel free to gently take the product down over the neck and décolletage, and around the eye area to melt away even the most stubborn long-wearing eye makeup.
Rinse off using warm water or a damp cotton cloth. Repeat, or follow with your second cleanser of choice.
Alpha-H Balancing Cleanser is a cream cleanser normal, sensitive and dry skin-havers will love.
Got oily, combo or acne-prone skin? Triple Action Cleanser is up your alley.
Pro tip: You can leave a lush layer of balm on for up to 10 minutes as a deeply hydrating mask, because who doesn't love a multi-tasking product?
Step 2: A Liquid Exfoliant
If you’re not already using a liquid exfoliant in your routine, start tonight.
Exfoliating with a chemical exfoliant like Alpha-H Liquid Gold Rose will legitimately transform your skin in so many ways, like:
- Help with the look of fine lines and wrinkles, dullness and hyperpigmentation
- Speed up your skin’s renewal process, which actually slows down as we age (fun)
- Prompt your skin to produce more of its own collagen and hyaluronic acid for a plumper, fresher skin appearance
- Smooth uneven skin texture and refine the look of pores
- Give you an instant overnight radiance and the clinical cumulative long-term results
How to use a chemical exfoliant in your routine:
Start by exfoliating one night a week, avoiding any irritated areas.
Pay attention to how your skin looks and feels, and work your way up to three nights a week.
Apply five drops of Liquid Gold Rose to a cotton pad and gently swipe over clean, dry skin.
Pro tip: Leave on, and for best results, do not follow with a moisturiser.
Step 3: Finish with a Face Oil
If you’re prone to dry, sensitive or reactive skin, or you just want to go to bed feeling like a glazed doughnut...
Finish your routine with the Alpha-H Golden Haze Face Oil.
When paired with an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) exfoliant like Liquid Gold Rose, this fast-absorbing, non-sticky oil formula:
- Helps to relieve dry, dehydrated skin
- Calms and soothes the complexion
- Makes skin feel more comfy when layered over a liquid exfoliant like Liquid Gold Rose.
- Gives skin a plump, bouncy, hydrated look and feel
How to use a face oil in your routine:
Apply a few drops of your oil over the face, neck and decolletage as the last step of your nighttime skincare routine.
Pro tip: Alternate your exfoliation and face oil nights, or layer the face oil over the top of your liquid exfoliant once it has dried.
And there you have it! A quick and easy three-step skincare routine for your 30s! (Or any age.)